Enjoy Instant Orthodontics with Porcelain Veneers
Many patients suffer from crooked teeth, but they don’t want to go through the hassle of wearing braces for months or even years to straighten their teeth. If you’re looking for a convenient straightening solution, porcelain veneers, thin shells that cover the front of your teeth and hide any imperfections, could be an excellent treatment option for you. Dr. Peter Hellwig provides instant orthodontics with porcelain veneers at our San Diego practice. This treatment can give your teeth a straight, symmetrical appearance without actually moving them, so the process is much less time consuming. In the following blog post, we explain how porcelain veneers can efficiently correct your crooked teeth so you can feel more confident in your smile.
How Do Porcelain Veneers Straighten Your Teeth?
Traditional braces or aligners exert a small amount of pressure on your teeth to gradually shift them into proper position. Rather than changing your oral structure, porcelain veneers simply mask your crooked teeth, giving them a straight, aligned look. Dr. Hellwig will craft your porcelain veneers to mask the crooked appearance of your teeth. For example, he may make a veneer longer, wider, or shaped differently from the tooth it covers. Since they’re custom made to mimic the color and texture of your natural enamel, porcelain veneers can enhance your smile while providing a realistic appearance.
What Orthodontic Issues Can Veneers Correct?
Porcelain veneers can address the following orthodontic concerns:
- Overlapping teeth
- Crowded teeth
- Uneven or asymmetrical teeth
- Gapped teeth
- Slight misalignment between the top and bottom teeth
The Instant Orthodontics Procedure
While other orthodontic treatments require you to come in several times per month for an extended period of time, instant orthodontics can completely improve the appearance of your smile in just a few visits. First, Dr. Hellwig will discuss your needs and preferences with you at your initial consultation to understand your expectations. He will then use this information to custom make your veneers according to your input. We will manufacture your veneers according to your desired color, shape, and size. Dr. Hellwig will also need to conduct an oral exam and review your dental records at your first appointment to determine if you are a good candidate for porcelain veneers.
If you qualify for porcelain veneers, Dr. Hellwig will see you for a second visit, during which he will shape your teeth for veneers, removing a small amount of enamel so your restorations will attach snugly to your teeth and look natural. This process typically requires just local anesthesia. Once he has prepared your teeth, Dr. Hellwig will take an impression of them so that our lab can custom fit your porcelain veneers to your teeth.
Crafting your porcelain veneers typically takes about two weeks, so Dr. Hellwig may place temporary composite veneers on your newly shaped teeth so you can look and feel more comfortable in between appointments. Once your permanent veneers are ready, he will cement them to your teeth and cure them with a special light.
Who Qualifies for “Instant Orthodontics”?
To be a good candidate for instant orthodontics, you should:
- Be in good oral health. Patients with decayed teeth or gum disease will need to resolve these issues before undergoing this procedure.
- Suffer from mild or moderate crookedness and malocclusion (improper bite). More severe orthodontic cases will require other orthodontic techniques, such as the Six Month Smiles® program, during which we use tooth-colored wires and transparent brackets to straighten patients’ teeth in about half a year.
- Not grind your teeth. This habit can wear down your porcelain veneers, necessitating costly repairs and interfering with your results. Dr. Hellwig may be able to help you treat your bruxism (teeth grinding) so you can experience instant orthodontia.
- Have realistic expectations for the results of your instant orthodontics. Although we custom make your veneers to your preferences, they may not look or feel exactly as you had imagined.
- Be committed to taking good care of your veneers for many years to come. You will need to brush and floss them just like natural teeth to maintain your oral health and keep your restorations beautiful.
Don’t Wait to Experience a Straighter Smile
You can correct your crooked teeth in mere weeks with porcelain veneers. To learn more about instant orthodontics or schedule a consultation with Dr. Hellwig, please contact our office today.