Is a Smile Makeover Right for You?
If you suffer from one or multiple dental flaws and wish you could change the appearance of your smile, a smile makeover may be right for you. Cosmetic dentistry treatments can be performed to mask dental imperfections and improve the appearance of the teeth for a total smile makeover. Cosmetic dentist Peter Hellwig determines which patients are suitable smile makeover candidates at his San Diego, CA practice. Schedule a consultation today to find out if you're a good smile makeover candidate.
What Is a Smile Makeover?
A smile makeover is a personalized treatment plan used to enhance the appearance of the smile through a combination of cosmetic dentistry treatments. The number of treatments will depend on each patient's needs. Some people may only require one procedure while others may wish to undergo multiple treatments, such as:
- Teeth whitening: Professional teeth whitening treatment can reduce years of discoloration and stains to rejuvenate the smile's appearance and restore the teeth to a vibrant, pearly white.
- Porcelain veneers: Those who wish to improve the shape, size, or color of their teeth may benefit from porcelain veneers. Porcelain veneers are thin, tooth-shaped fabrications that cover the front surface of the teeth, effectively masking flaws and improving the overall appearance of the smile. Porcelain veneers may even be used as instant orthodontics to correct mild alignment issues and close gaps between the teeth.
- Dental bonding: Dental bonding can address many of the same issues as porcelain veneers. With dental bonding treatment, a tooth-colored resin is applied and shaped directly on the teeth to achieve the desired appearance.
- Porcelain crowns: Porcelain dental crowns can be used to restore damaged teeth or mask dental flaws. Each crown is custom-made to the desired shape, size, and color. Dental crowns may be used to treat fractured teeth, add strength to teeth with large fillings, or to improve the appearance of the teeth.
- Laser gum contouring: Laser gum contouring is a cosmetic treatment used to remove excess gum tissue and improve the appearance of an overly “gummy” smile. Laser gum contouring may also be used to create an even, more aesthetically pleasing gum line.
- Tooth-colored fillings: Old metal fillings can be replaced with tooth-colored fillings for a flawless look. New cavities may be treated with tooth-colored fillings for restored oral health and improved appearance.
- Dental implants: Those who are missing one or more teeth often benefit from dental implant treatment. Dental implants, which are small metal posts placed within the jaw, can be paired with dental crowns to replace individual teeth, bridges for multiple teeth, or dentures for a full set of teeth.
Candidates for Smile Makeover Treatment
Smile makeovers are highly customizable, making those who wish to improve the appearance of their smile excellent candidates. Ideal candidates for smile makeovers should have relatively healthy gums and teeth. Major dental issues, like untreated tooth decay and gum disease, do not exclude people from undergoing a smile makeover, but these oral health problems will need to be addressed before undergoing a smile makeover. Those who suffer from one or more of the following issues often make great candidates for a smile makeover:
- Old metal fillings
- Gaps between the teeth
- Crooked or uneven teeth
- Chipped or fractured teeth
- A “gummy” smile
- Missing teeth
- Irregularly-shaped teeth
- Oversized or undersized teeth
- Mild to severe tooth discoloration and staining
Are You a Candidate?
For more information about smile makeovers, or to find out if you're a candidate, we invite you to schedule a consultation with Dr. Hellwig.